Session 1: Establishing EU Operations
- An introduction with a high-level overview of some key legal issues for US companies to consider when expanding into Europe for the first time. This session covers:
- Key factors to consider when selecting a base for your EU operations
- EU market entry and how best to achieve this
- Entity choice and formation considerations
- Key EU corporate compliance obligations, including account filing requirements and beneficial ownership disclosure obligations
- The new EU Regulation on the Screening of Foreign Direct Investments in the EU
Session 2: Employment and Immigration Law Considerations for U.S. Companies Doing Business in the EU
- Understand the key features of EU labor law, with a specific focus on recruiting, retaining, and terminating employees. Hear insights and key takeaways from an employment law perspective for U.S. employers interested in employing personnel in the EU, touching on the following:
This session also explores employee benefits—what's market and what's not—as well as some key differences and similarities between the typical employer/employee relationship in the U.S. versus Europe. In addition, examine key immigration considerations when it comes to employing non-EEA nationals in Europe.
- statutory protective leave
- working time requirements
- employee discrimination laws
- employee rights on termination
- employee rights arising in the context of corporate transactions
- trade union representation.
Session 3: E-Commerce and Consumer Protection Regulation in the EU
- Hear an introduction to each of the key regulations that businesses will need to comply with when selling online to consumers in the EU, with a focus on:
- website requirements
- online sales
- consumer contracts
- consumer remedies and enforcement
Session 4: Regulation of Data in the EU
- Get a big picture overview of data regulation in the EU covering, in particular, significant legal developments and hot topics including:
- Ireland as a data global stage, and the landscape of U.S. and EU data regulation.
- international data transfers, recent legal challenges to lawful transfer mechanisms, and the impact of Brexit.
- enforcement activity with a look at the fines issued by EU Supervisory Authorities.
- civil actions including the rights of individuals to seek compensation for data protection breaches and the potential for class actions.
- data breach notifications and the obligation to notify individuals and Supervisory Authorities of a breach.
- the one stop shop mechanism providing for the selection of a lead supervisory authority.
Session 5: Intellectual Property Rights and Strategies for Protection in Europe
- Hear an introduction to each of the key intellectual property rights that are available to businesses, and strategies for their protection in the EU, including:
- trade marks
Session 6: M&A in the EU: What U.S. Businesses Need to Know
- Examine the current public and private M&A market in the EU, with an explanation of common deal structures and what drives them, as well as key terms of typical M&A transactions in the EU. Discuss recent M&A market trends, highlighting some of the key differences in deal-making in the U.S. and the EU.
Preview mode. You must be signed in and have
purchased this eCourse to have full access.