Privacy Statement Regarding Customer and Online User Information
The Privacy Statement Regarding Customer and Online User Information applies to The University of Texas at Austin School of Law/Continuing Legal Education Department ("UT LAW CLE," "we" or "our"). This privacy statement also does not apply to the websites of any business partners or to any other third parties, even if their websites are linked to our website. We recommend you review the privacy statements of any other parties with whom you interact.
This privacy statement governs personal information we collect from our customers and online from our website users ("you"), through our products, services, websites, contacts or our relationship with you.
For the purposes of this privacy statement, "Personal information" means information that identifies you, such as your name, address, telephone number(s), email address(es) and bar card number.
We may ask you to provide personal information when you:
Information we may request includes your email address, name, home address, telephone and facsimile numbers and bar/license information. If you make a purchase, we may ask for your credit card number and billing information. We may also collect demographic information, such as your business or company information, business type and size, preferences, favorites and evaluations. Forms that you may fill in will indicate whether information requested is mandatory or voluntary.
- Use our website;
- Request services, support or information;
- Place orders for products or services;
- Participate in surveys or other promotional activities;
- Subscribe to newsletters, promotional emails or other materials; or
- Contact us.
We may collect information about your visits to our websites, including the pages you view, the links you click, search terms you enter, and other actions you take in connection with the UT LAW CLE website and services. We may also collect certain information from the browser you used to come to our website, such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address, browser type and language, access times, the Uniform Resource Locator (URL) of the website that referred you to our website and to which URL you browse away from our site if you click on a link on our site.
In order to offer you a more consistent and personalized experience in your interactions with UT LAW CLE, information collected through one source may be combined with information obtained through other UT LAW CLE resources. We may also supplement the information we collect with information obtained from other parties.
HOW WE USE PERSONAL INFORMATION
UT LAW CLE uses your personal information to:
DISCLOSING PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may disclose your personal information in connection with law enforcement, fraud prevention or other legal action; as required by law or regulation; pursuant to a valid Open Records Request, or if UT LAW CLE reasonably believes it is necessary to protect The University of Texas, The University of Texas School of Law, UT LAW CLE, its customers or the public.
- Deliver the services and support, or carry out, the transactions you have requested;
- Send communications to you, such as your transactions status (for example, order confirmations), information about products and services available from UT LAW CLE, promotional offers and surveys;
- Customize, analyze and improve our products, services (including the content and design of our website), technologies, communications and relationship with you;
- Enforce our conditions of sale or website/subscription terms;
- Prevent fraud and other prohibited or illegal activities;
- Protect the security or integrity of the website, our business, or our products or services; or
- Otherwise, as disclosed to you at the point of collection.
Except as stated above, we will not disclose your personal information to third parties for their own marketing purposes unless you have provided consent.
HOW YOU CAN ACCESS YOUR INFORMATION
UT LAW CLE wants to help you keep your personal information accurate. To view or edit your personal information that has been stored online in your UT LAW CLE 'My Account,' please visit the My Account section of the utcle.org website. For the security of your account, you will be required to sign in with your login ID and password.
SELECTING YOUR COMMUNICATION PREFERENCES
You may choose to receive or not receive marketing communications from UT LAW CLE by indicating your preferences. Opportunities to select your preferences include the following:
Please allow up to 10 business days for your email preferences to take effect. Because some promotions are developed in advance, you may still receive solicitations after we receive your preference request.
COLLECTION AND USE OF CHILDREN'S PERSONAL INFORMATION
UT LAW CLE takes children's privacy seriously. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13 through our website. If you are under 18 years of age, please do not submit any personal information through our websites without the express consent and participation of a parent or guardian.
- The My Account section on utcle.org allows you to choose whether you wish to receive marketing communications from utcle.org, and to subscribe or unsubscribe to newsletters, direct mail, or promotional emails about our products and services; and
- At any point you can also click on the "Contact Us" link in the banner at the bottom of each web page and let us know by mail, fax or email to "General Inquiries" to request to be removed from our advertising and marketing lists (brochures, emails or both); and
- You may opt out of receiving marketing communications from UT LAW CLE by clicking on the unsubscribe link provided in every personalized email marketing message you receive; and
- Any marketing by UT LAW CLE, or any third parties on behalf of UT LAW CLE, will be conducted in accordance with applicable laws.
Targeted Email Marketing by UT LAW CLE
Some marketing you receive, including email marketing, may also be personalized based on your visits to utcle.org and your browsing and purchase history. In addition, when you click on some links in email marketing you receive, a cookie may be placed on your browser. This cookie would be linked to your email address and used to gather information about the products and services you view and purchase on utcle.org. Information gathered may be used to personalize and customize future email marketing messages you receive. You may opt out of this use by clicking on the unsubscribe link provided in every personalized email marketing message you receive.
You have the ability to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. If you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to sign in or use other interactive features of UT LAW CLE websites and services that depend on cookies.
THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES AND SERVICES
Please be aware that other websites that may be accessed through our website may collect personally identifiable information about you. The information practices of those third-party websites linked to utcle.org are not covered by this privacy statement.
CHANGES TO OUR PRIVACY STATEMENT
We will occasionally update this privacy statement. If we make changes to the Privacy Statement Regarding Customer and Online User Information or make any material changes to how we will use your personal information, we will revise the Privacy Statement to reflect such changes and revise the statement's effective date, included at the end of this section. We encourage you to periodically review this statement to be informed of how UT LAW CLE is protecting your personal information.
If you would like to contact us for any reason regarding our privacy practices, please write to us at the following address:
The University of Texas School of Law
Attention: Continuing Legal Education
727 East Dean Keeton Street
Austin, Texas 78705 USA
Privacy Statement Regarding Customer and Online User Information
Effective Date: April 15, 2013.